Families in Marshalltown, Iowa have faced several catastrophic events in recent years. In July 2018 an EF3 tornado raced through the heart of our town and caused extensive damage to homes, businesses, schools and churches. Our community is still in the process of recovering. In August of 2020 a derecho storm tore though our county with the force of a category 2 hurricane. Once again the town experienced the fear and damage of a devastating natural disaster. And needless to say our children have struggled to cope with the loss, isolation and uncertainty of the COVID-19 pandemic. The faith community at First United Methodist Church in Marshalltown is committed to addressing the spiritual deficits of children in Marshalltown through a fun day camp experience we are calling “Express Yourself! Renew Your Spirit.”
Tentative schedule: June 1 – August 5, 2021
Wage: $15+ per hour/ 40-hour week
Goals of the Program
- Share the love and good news of Jesus Christ as the rock upon which we all can stand during good times and in hard times.
- Provide a variety of creative arts (music, art, hobbies, etc.) and fellowship experiences that engage school-aged children (K-6th grade) and give them a pathway to healing, renewal and hope.
- Oﬀer small/large group opportunities to allow children to make/renew friendships in a fun and caring environment.
- Address spiritual deficits that children may be experiencing as a result of recent events through artistic expression, counseling, and encouragement.
The Qualified CreativeArts Intern will:
- collaborate with a Ministry Marketing/Graphic Arts Intern and a Family Ministry Team to plan, recruit and implement a three-week summer camp that oﬀers a variety of art, music, sports and hobbies to explore.
- plan and lead workshops in the camp in large and small group settings.
- work with children to explore interests in ways that address the goals mentioned above.
- organize and work with volunteers.
- plan/present a celebration event for families at the end of the camp.
Desired skill sets
- very organized, punctual and works well in a team environment
- experience or passion for working with children
- desire to share the love and message of Jesus Christ
- can successfully manage program budget
- passes safety background check and willing to attend church child safety training
- willing to work evenings and weekends as needed
- ability to speak Spanish is a plus
To apply, please use the form on the right side of the page to submit completed application or send application to email@example.com with the Job Title you are applying for in the Subject Line. All information is confidential.